New and totally confused by the editor. Used to Evernote and Bear

i don’t understand that point of view, at all.
why couldn’t DT execute a macro when doing cmd+v? i.e. ‘save the clipboard to a jpg file in the same directory, take the nam of the jpg, insert markdown code into the markdown where the cursor was when the user pressed cmd+v’.

that would work perfectly fine and is what quite a few other markdown editors do it.

1 Like

if it is text only format, it is a really crippled non-generic note format though. so whats a more powerful non-text-only format you suggest? I have no clue what PDF has got to do with a note-taking format though…

1 Like

yes, like Panda does. 99.9% of the images I insert in Markdown are by pasting

i totally agree. An image is worth a thousand words and annotated images 2 thousand.

There are exceptions. Bear app uses markdown with seamless integration of pasted images.

that invents it’s own markdown deviation

Acutally they are embracing CommonMark, and optionally GFM (GitHub Flavored Markdown) with this wise comment…

We’re switching to a more standard Markdown system for greater formatting flexibility and integration with other apps

@rufus123, et al:
They aren’t “pasting into Markdown”. If you add an image, it is defaulting to using the .textbundle format. .textbundle files are viewable but not editable in DEVONthink.

1 Like

yes, you are right and I was wrong. As soon as you add an image md → textbundle

What I want is to be able to
1- view in DT
2- edit in an external editor. Today Panda; tomorrow another app.

thank you for your comment

same, i am heavy on the images in my notes too. have been using bear for a few months now (osx/ios). 0 regrets. sync is amazing too. wish i could somehow index the files in DT but then i wouldn’t know how to use it on ios anyways.

check the comment by @ryanjamurphy. you could just index the data on your local disk but fully edit in a completely independent editor. that’s what he does.

There are a variety of different flavors of Markdown but what they all have in common is they all use plain text files. Bear does not use plain text files, therefore it is not Markdown. It does, however, use Markdown syntax (or something resembling it). A subtle but important distinction!

Bear is an excellent application (though it is not one I have personal found a use for). I would not accuse them of vendor lockin. I am inclined to cut them the benefit of the doubt, and suggest instead that they want to do things with their app that are not possible with plain text documents. Such as embedding images.

Like the OP here, I often find I need to paste images into documents, and saving them to an external file and linking in Markdown doesn’t work for me. My solution is I do not use markdown for those documents; instead I use RTF. If I mistakenly start a Markdown file and find it needs to be RTF, well, DevonThink makes the conversion easy. That’s one of the things I like about DT.

I would prefer that DevonThink do some Markdown rendering in edit mode – making italics look like italics, highlighting links, making headers and strong text boldface, and so on. Other Markdown editors do that – for example, iA Writer. I’ve asked for that here more than once and it doesn’t seem to be something that Devon Technologies plans to do. I’ll live with that.

3 Likes

I suppose one could write a small cript to explode the bundle into it’s own directory and then index that in DT. Or, mount the textbunde (which probably is a ZIP file) as a volume in Mac OS (using FUSE)… But neither approach seems very practical: One would need one folder/volume per document, since the image sub-folder is always called assets and all the image links in Bear refer to this folder.

What I want is to be able to
1- view in DT
2- edit in an external editor. Today Panda; tomorrow another app.

This is already possible, per my previous comment.

.textbundle files are viewable but not editable in DEVONthink.

1 Like

bear does not use plain text files, therefore it is not markdown

markdown is a text format. how it is stored is irrelevant. doesn’t have to be plain text files. could be a binary file.

I am inclined to cut them the benefit of the doubt, and suggest instead that they want to do things with their app that are not possible with plain text documents. Such as embedding images.

that’s perfectly fine with markdown as quite a few editors show. why wouldn’t it? markdown is the format, text files is the backend, the frontend can do whatever we want. e.g. proper table support :wink:

1 Like

I would prefer that DevonThink do some Markdown rendering in edit mode – making italics look like italics, highlighting links, making headers and strong text boldface, and so on. Other Markdown editors do that – for example, iA Writer. I’ve asked for that here more than once and it doesn’t seem to be something that Devon Technologies plans to do. I’ll live with that.

There are currently no plans to implement a hybrid renderer, and using one is definitely a matter of personal taste. (I personally hate the combined look, but that’s my opinion.)

2 Likes

One would need one folder… per document

I have long used this tried and true method with Markdown in DEVONthink.

1 Like

What markdown editors do (and what bear presumably does too) is insert a reference to an image. Like so

![title](image-url)

(I may be getting brackets and parenthesis wrong here). I have no problem with that. What goes against the idea of markdown is packaging the text file with the images in a bundle (which is not as proprietary as I originally thought) which is no longer usable in every other markdown editor. I agree that it seems to make things easier. In the short term.

1 Like

.textbundle is a known quantity. It’s not a bad concept, but it has failed to reach broad acceptance.

PS: Your Markdown image link syntax is correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

nobody is talking about bundles or packaging the text file with images or whatever.

I did a little googling and it appears you are correct – I was talking through my hat.

Does Bear use a standard Markdown syntax? It’s been a while since I looked into that. I seem to recall it started out using its own version of Markdown – Polar Bear – but switched to standard CommonMark as the default? I may be mistaken.

1 Like

very good comments. I have frequent discussions on the Bear forum in reddit. The moderators, all members of the Bear team, certainly don’t see like the lockin type vendors.

1 Like