Regular Crashes after updating to 3.8.3

Hi,

DT worked smoothly until I did the update.

Now DT shuts down for no apparent reason. Multiple times a day.

Just now I left the computer for a couple of minutes, came back, and DT was closed/quit again.

Is this a known issue? Anything to check?

1 Like

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

done

Thank you for the logs! Are this indeed crashes (there were no crash logs) or does DEVONthink actually freeze? In addition, please check in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Automation whether DEVONthink 3 is allowed to automate the Finder. And finally, does any of your smart rules use a script?

It just quits. No freezing. (Altough the spinning rainbow circle happens to pop up more and more often since the update. Before it hardly ever happened)

The Finder ist not marked in Automation.

Yes, I do have rule with a script

And does enabling the option and/or deactivating this rule fix the issue?

Maybe “crashing” is the wrong word.

Just a second ago, DT just closed and started up again.

I was working in DTagent, adding a pdf.

How exactly did you add the PDF? Did the system show the crash reporter?

I just clicked on the little wheel in DA-> PDF (paginated).

Could be as well totally unrelated and was maybe in this case just a coincidence…

I am not sure what crash report you referring to.

The log just starts clean by verifying the databases. (Sadly only some of them)

It just acts weird. It just closes for no apparent reason. And sometimes it does this reopening with reduced databases. Wich was confusing bc suddenly I couldn’t find my files anymore. Until I realized what happened.

After a crash no databases should be automatically opened anymore after launching the app. And each database which was opened when the app crashed is automatically verified after opening it again.

Did you try this in the meantime?

I cannot confirm the described behaviour. I got 7 or so DB open.
It always falls back to opening just 3 DB again. But always the same 3 ones.

I will enable Finder in the automation settings, leave the rules running and will survey how it behaves.

It is really hard to report a bug I cannot reproduce… :wink:

(and it so sad. I love your product. I was so eager to get the update bc of exploding pdf feature. Great job as always :+1:)

Are certain rules performed right after launching the app? Then it’s possible that databases required by these rules are automatically opened even after a crash.

Just to check: have you tried restarting your Mac since this problem cropped up?

You think it’s hard reporting it. Try fixing a bug you can’t reproduce! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

The fun thing is that the rules active are bonded to another DB.

Both the search scope and the actions of the rules?

Hi, just a confirmation on the (ir)regular crashes after the latest update from my side. I’m trying to circle in on any factors triggering the crashes. I am not running any scripts. The latest crash (which is not a crash triggering a message like “This app crashed, do you want to reopen it”, DevonThink just goes off all of a sudden) occurred after the Mac was left alone and went to sleep.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

I have had actual crashes (multiple) and have submitted a crash report and logs to cgrunenberg yesterday. My crashes were strikingly similar to what Smurf has described, occurring while the computer was asleep. On waking, I get the “This app crashed” dialog.

Norm

So far the only idea coming to my mind is that the automatic termination by macOS might cause this on Monterey 12.3. However, this isn’t even enabled by DEVONthink. Does anyone experience this (termination without a crash report) on a macOS version older than 12.3?

These are real crashes and definitely a different issue related to Bonjour sync.