Templates to use Devonthink Pro Office as a Diary- Journal

I’m looking for template(s) to use Devonthink Pro Office as an everyday diary - journal, adding documents, photos, even movies.

I used to use Day One, but ever since they decided to keep all the data on their servers something really “cracked” in me… if I wanted to give away my personal thoughts and data I could do it myself- no need to pay Day One to do it.

So, I’m trying to figure a way of keeping a diary and journal on DT. Does anyone have anything in mind or even using DT for such a purpose?

Version 3 of DEVONthink includes a template, see Data > New from Template > Productivity > Diary Journal. Although other files can be attached to the rich text document created by the template, adding them directly to the database is more powerful/flexible.

1 Like

Though I haven’t done it in the past month or so, I journaled in DEVONthink every day for well over 1.5 years using a custom Markdown template.

1 Like

I’m also looking for a nice user experience- e.g. not having to go through single files representing days, but rather being able to go through a visual run of multiple days as a timeline

Depending on your creativity, I’m sure such an option is achievable.

so, is it possible to get/ find a I get a template without having to upgrade to 3?

The Daily Journal template mentioned by @cgrunenberg only works in DEVONthink 3. However, creating templates of your own is fairly easily done.

Why are you not intending to upgrade to DEVONthink 3? We definitely suggest people do as DEVONthink 2.x is in maintenance, i.e., only receiving critical bugfixes like for crashes on startup.

1 Like

it hasn’t been long since I bought DT Pro Office, so I wasn’t ready to spend the extra buck for edition 3.

I suggest you choose DEVONthink Pro Office > Purchase to see your specific upgrade pricing. It may be less than you think, depending on when you made your purchase.

Does your Diary Journal template include going back and forth from day One as the old ChuckLane template? :slight_smile: Thanks

going back and forth from day One

?
What does this mean? Are you referring to the Day One application?

Have you used the Daily Journal template? That’d be the easiest way to get youor answer.

Thanks I am using it… one thing missing (am I blind perhaps…) the possibility of the old Clane47 script where he said:
“Edited 12_15_2013 : Added korm’s script for adding a new note in DayOne with a link back to the journal record in DTPO
If you have Day One and the Day One journaling CLI installed, set the appropriate flag to true before running the script.”
I know that that script, as it was, doesn’t work with DT3, but you’re the Master…!

Can you link to the forum post you’re referring to? Thanks.

Do you have the Dayone commandline tools installed?

not yet…

That would be required for the script you mentioned to work.

Ok ASAP

installed

Here is a modified version of the Text (i.e., the rich text) template that also creates a note in DayOne with a backlink to the journal in DEVONthink…

Daily Journal — Text w DayOne.zip (32.0 KB)