is it as simple as making that my preferred sync in DTTG and DT3 and then cleaning/removing the Dropbox sync?
Bonjour can be used to Sync between devices, IF:
- The devices are on the same network
- The network is private or one that allows Bonjour connections or non-standard ports. (Public and corporate WiFi sometimes disallow these.)
- Your firewall or an application like Little Snitch is Off or has exceptions added for DEVONthink’s traffic.
- Both devices are On and running DEVONthink / DEVONthink To Go 2 (and DEVOnthink To Go must be active, regardless of the Sync method).
Note: In situations where Bonjour traffic may be disallowed, you can connect an iOS device to your Mac via a standard Lightning cable to create an ad-hoc network for Bonjour syncing.
Here are the basic steps for a Bonjour setup (also covered in Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync)…
On the server Mac…
In DEVONthink on the Mac acting as the server…
Preferences > Sync > Bonjour Options…
- Check Enable Incoming Connections.
- Leave the Port blank unless you have a known port to assign.
- Enter a mandatory Password. You will use this when connecting on the other devices.
- Leave DEVONthink running.
On a client Mac…
In DEVONthink on the Mac acting as the client…
- In Preferences > Sync you should see the server Mac available.
- Check the checkbox to enable the connection and enter the Bonjour password you specified on the server Mac.
- Databases that are open on both Mac will be shown in the Local section. Enable ones you want to merge and sync.
Databases that aren’t open or are importable are shown in the Remote section. Double-click databases to import them, saving them to the ~/Databases folder in your Home directory.
In DEVONthink To Go…
- Go into Settings > Sync: Locations
- You should see a sync location for the Mac. Click the green plus button next to it.
- Set the options per your choice and touch Save.
- Enter the password you entered on the Mac.
- When it has connected, touch the sync location to show the databases list and flip the switch next to databases you want to import.